Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Making Mochi




Finished mochi

Finished mochi
I had a fun time making mochi. I made the red beans in my crock pot, and added sugar after cooking. Then I made mochi in the microwave. I covered my cutting board in plastic and corn starch and it wasn't too sticky.



The center

The center
It wouldn't be a good entry without showing off the bean paste!
To make the red bean paste I used a standard crock pot recipe to make beans (just beans plus water). After it was done I blended a cup of drained beans with I think 2/3 cup sugar in the blender. Then I cooked it in a non stick pan on low until it became a paste. I refrigerated it and rolled out 9 little balls of red bean paste. Then I made microwave mochi. I put 1.5 cups of glutinous rice flour, .75 cups of sugar and 1.5 cups of water together in a microwave dish and mixed well. Then I microwaved it with a loose plastic cover for 4 min. After that I stirred well and then with corn starch on my hands and board I shaped flat rounds and put the red bean paste in the center. It came out on the gooey side so next time I might try 5 min, but you definitely don't want to over cook!



Mochi Gifts

Mochi Gifts
I decided to give some of my mochi away. Hopefully my friends will enjoy it :)






a quickr pickr post

7 comments:

Alison said...

I've never had mochi! But I'm excited to hear that it's vegetarian!

Alison said...

Oh and it looks delicious!

mo.honey said...

It was the best mochi I've ever had! Such pretty packaging and yours was amazingly not too sweet (which is what I don't like about the stuff). I will only eat yours for the rest of my life.. Tee hee! :)

RollerScrapper said...

Alison,
You should try the mochi that's made with ice cream, it's totally awesome and a great entry point into mochi if you don't want to go directly into eating something that is filled with essentially sweet refried beans :)

Mo. Honey, as always I can count on you to make me feel like an award winning baker :)

mo.honey said...

*heart bubble*..

You *are* an award winning baker! :)

Elizabeth-FlourishinProgress said...

That packaging is really lovely!

What a wonderful thing to make. I always buy mochi at the store and it is pricey, so I'll definitely have to give this a try.

new to your blog, looking forward to more.

RollerScrapper said...

Hey here are some sites I checked out prior to actually making mochi, a blogger and a fascinating youtube link