Saturday, October 9, 2010

Pancakes or crepes




Crepe bubbles

Crepe bubbles
A long time ago when I was young enough to be able to win a rollerskate limbo contest, merely by the fact that I was likely the smallest in my rollerskating class, my mom would make pancakes. I have always loved my mom's pancakes better than anyone else's mom's pancakes. What I didn't realize until college or even later, was that my mom's pancakes are actually crepes. In fact once in college I made my boyfriend pancakes and he suggested that I forgot the baking soda or some rising agent...I guess there is no accounting for taste! This morning I set out to make some crepes...I don't have a recipe, it is just eggs, milk and flour, and sometimes I add sugar, but I didn't today because I knew I had good syrup. I do have some tips though, you need to use a pat of butter before every crepe. You need to make sure it cooks on the first side until it looks dry, shake the pan to see that the crepe is lose, and flip it in the pan using wrist action and gravity...a spatula often rips a delicate crepe. On the second side, watch for bubbles like this one has...all that heat is trapped and making something delicious! If you are serving a group, you can store them on top of each other, they will keep each other warm while the next one is cooking, or you can serve them like my mom, one person at a time.



Crepes with apples and walnuts

Crepes with apples and walnuts
The finished product, apple cinnamon stuffed crepes with walnuts and maple syrup






a quickr pickr post

6 comments:

mo.honey said...

wooOOOO... maple syrup!!! :)

RollerScrapper said...

Thanks so much for the yummy maple syrup!!

Alison said...

Can you please mail me some. =) They look delicious!

RollerScrapper said...

I don't know how well they'd hold up in the mail, but one day I'll show you :)

AT said...

ooh, I vividly remember those pancakes, is there really no recipe to follow?

I think I need to make some soon.

RollerScrapper said...

I just put in an egg, some milk and add flour...if I had to guess i'd say one egg to one cup milk and add flour until you get a runny batter. Luckily you can get mom to show you :)