Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Sad News

I have some sad news, one of the captain's grandmothers passed away last week. We went to his home to see his parents and to pay our last respects. She lived to be 99.5 and was in good health until the very end...I only hope that we can be so lucky and have just a fraction of the adventures she had...she wanted to go to India when she was 90, so she did, just to see the Taj Mahal! I was very glad to be able to go home and support the captain and his family.

Here is where I fess up to all of the no-spend week items that I flubbed on.
Day 1: I bought lunch even though I brought it to work b/c a coworker invited me out and I said yes before thinking
Day 1: I bought plane tickets to go home, but I had no control over that
Day 3: (black Friday) I didn't buy stuff personally but I went grocery shopping and costco shopping to help out...and was rewarded with a free cookbook.
Day 4: We bought lunch at McDonalds, funny thing is in line at the drive thru we decided to get a McRib Meal and an extra McRib (and share the fries and drink). The scene went like this:
McDrivethru: "Welcome to McDonalds, can I interest you in a McRib value meal?
Captain: "Why yes, that sounds Great!"
McDrivethru: "Can I interest you in adding another McRib for $1?"
Captain: "Why yes, that sounds GREAT!"

It was all I could do to keep from giggling in the background.

Other than those purchases I think we did pretty well as we were mostly home or at the wake or the funeral. I'm glad we went back though, we got to see a lot of the captains family and friends, including "Grandma Captain" who I finally finished the shawl for!


Grandma captain's new shawl

Grandma captain's new shawl
I finished it with her watching me work, I think she really enjoyed that!






a quickr pickr post

6 comments:

Elizabeth-FlourishinProgress said...

A big hug to you and the captain. What an adventurous woman! It sounds like she really enjoyed life and that zeal probably inspired tons of other people to enjoy life.

Also, I am sorry to hear that you are McDonald's target customer base. Also, I am very jealous. Them McRibs are delicious. Delicious! Who needs Chinese food cooking lessons from a white dude when you can get a second McRib for a dollar, I say! I knew I liked the captain, but I didn't know quite why till now. Any man that recognizes a good meal and deal is golden in my book.

Your gift was incredible. Again, I am very jealous. Cal and I tried to learn to crochet and knit this summer by purchasing a few how-to for kids videos. After thirty minutes, I was tangled in yarn, I had wool tufts in my hair and I needed a stiff drink.

No New is Good News said...

Oh, that is so sweet. I know she must have loved watching you knit. I lost one grandmother this year and am so grateful I got her to teach me how to make her signature slippers this past year. I'm making them for my mom and aunt for Christmas. But the most important part was making her feel like I was really interested in something she knew how to do and valued (knitting). The captain's grandmother must have been tickled to death that you made that scarf. Good on you. And, funerals fit into the broad category of 'health'. You have to take care of yourself and your clan at such times, so you did remarkably well this week, especially considering your hurdles! xo Tara

RollerScrapper said...

Liz,
Funny thing is I haven't had a McRib in years b/c I thought I didn't like them...but marketing got to me :-P Actually they are delicious minus the onions and pickle!

Tara,
Thanks for the encouragement, the only thing I was really kicking myself for was going out to lunch on DAY 1 :-P

Alison said...

I'm so sorry to hear this and so late too! You are a good supportive wife. The Captain is lucky to have you!!

Elizabeth-FlourishinProgress said...

waddup. i thought about you this morning and just wanted to drop you a little "hello" and "how the hell are you doing?"

RollerScrapper said...

Thanks Alison!
I was glad to be there for him!
Liz! I've been under a rock...actually I've been moving a ton of stuff and my computer is buried under a hoarders like pile! Good thing I have my droidx! Thanks for checking to see that I wasn't dead under a pile of newspapers :)