Sunday, March 6, 2011

Flaxseed Macarons with Chocolate Ganache




Flaxseed Macarons

Flaxseed Macarons
These were made from golden flaxseed meal.






a quickr pickr post



I had some beginners luck with my last two posts, basically I got lucky and then failed a good 3 or four more times. I was frustrated, the captain was frustrated, and I've eaten so many maca wrongs that I haven't stepped on the scale in a week!
However today I dragged the captain to target and got a cheapo food scale, I also went to henrys for almond meal, but it was $11, so I gave up and bought flaxseed meal for about a quarter of the price. I used a recipe from not so humble pie and had fantastic results. So much so that I ran out and braved trader joes on a sunday evening to get more almonds and egg whites in a carton. Right now I'm making almond ones in tiffany blue, well as close as I'm going to get to tiffany blue.
The only modification I made in ms. humble's recipe is I left out the powdered egg white and added a pinch of cream of tartar. I have to say that watching macarons cook is like watching shrinky dinks curl up and shrink!
I also made some fleur de sel caramel, which I burned slightly, but that just gave it a richer taste ;)
If I'm feeling kicky tomorrow, I will remake my peanut macarons which failed this am and fill them with the caramel.
My plan is to bring those to the crop as my interpretation of the cracker jacks that Holly and Paul find the ring in, in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

5 comments:

Elizabeth-FlourishInProgress said...

HAHAHA. Maca wrongs. You are clever. =)

Gosh, just stopping by this blog makes my mouth water. Dangerous!

RollerScrapper said...

I'm not that clever, I saw that play on words at a couple of blogs. The best part is that flaxseed macarons with dark chocolate are healthy with omega 3s and anti oxidants, especially if consumed with red wine!

mo.honey said...

Mmm... flaxseed.. I love flaxseed goodies!

mo.honey said...

BTW, I was going to comment on how much "Maca wrongs" made me laugh but another commenter beat me to it! :) I've never known anyone to make macaroons themselves before.. your skillz are sooo impressive!

RollerScrapper said...

Thanks! I will have to make some flaxseed ones when you visit :)