Saturday, April 3, 2010

Queen of Sweets Decadent Buttercream Frosting


I have something to share, I don't like frosting! Especially frosting from a can, it is way too sweet! However I can tolerate this homemade frosting...don't get me wrong, it is sweet, but you can taste the real butter in it. I thought I'd share one of my award winning "secrets". First, many recipes for buttercream frosting call for milk...IMHO that's wrong...it says cream right in the name!

2 sticks butter at room temp (take them out of the fridge before you start making your cake, by the time you're ready to make frosting they should be good.
1 splash vanilla (if you can't do a splash, just put in a tablespoon)
1/3 cup heavy cream.
6-8 cups of powdered sugar.

Step 1: cream the butter. This means to beat it until it is really smooth.
Step 2: Splash in the vanilla and add the cream, beat thoroughly...it should look a little watery and weird since liquid and oil don't mix all the way.
Step 3: Set your mixer to low and add in powdered sugar 1/2 c at a time. A cloud of powdered sugar may start forming, just add it in very slowly and keep the mixer on low.

Now...after about 6 cups it should look like frosting...if it doesn't look frosting-like, you can keep adding in sugar...make sure to scrape down the bowl with a spatula and run the mixer again when you check after 6 cups.

Step 4: Once it looks like frosting I like to crank the mixer up to high or close to high to get it nice and fluffy.

Hooray, you have a cream colored buttercream frosting! If you want to tint it, use a gel tint and add only a tiny bit at a time, i.e. use a toothpick amount, or you might get it too dark...you can always add more tint, but you cannot take it away.

Frost your cupcakes and enjoy!

5 comments:

Alison said...

Mmm, I love ALL frosting including the can, sorry. But I'd eat your frosting strait from the spoon! when I get a piece of cake I want the end so I can have more frosting. Good recipe, I will have to card this one!!!

RollerScrapper said...

OMG I licked the spatula at the end and nearly died from sugar shock :)

I'm proud to say I didn't eat a single cupcake that day...but I did have a few cookies that someone else brought :)

If we're ever at a cake eating occasion at the same time you can definately have all my frosting :)

Alison said...

HA! Thanks!! I know of something we'll both be at where there is cake (wink wink). You have an incredible amount of willpower. I'm a sucker for cake in a baaaaaad way.

RollerScrapper said...

Oh don't get me wrong, I'd live on cake if I could...just plain without frosting :)

Anonymous said...

Yummy! Sounds like a good recipe. But then again I can eat eat any kind of frosting! I will have to try it out...